Saturday, January 27, 2007

Off To Simulate The 2-Way-Range

I've been hearing about certain munitions that deserve a look. The first is a 357 SIG, 60 grainer that is advertised to crank 2400 fps from a 4" barrel, the second an 80 grain 45 ACP that does better than 2300 from a 5". Both are hollowpoints by the way. This means no weeping or whining that they can be referred to as COP KILLER BULLETS, as if cops have a better reason to exist than the rest of us. HP's are designed to flatten not punch through, and the 45 intrigues me the most. The potential problem with so light a weight for the calibers in question, particularly the 45, is the possibility of deflecting off of bone or even a strategically placed Zippo. The other problem is the fact that MOST military types will not bother to toss even a wayward glance at reports of bullets hitting paper targets. There is a certain online dentist who drives the "warriors" stark raving mad with his blatent nonsense concerning terminal ballistics, but I'm a little forgiving mainly because I must be.

I no longer have living targets to report upon. Any information I receive or pass along FROM those who have practiced long and hard in the present day 2-way-ranges around the world must be considered anecdotal, even though the information is derived from experts in the field.

Your MD provides a diagnosis, and this is not anecdotal. A long range sniper says what works and what doesn't and this is not anecdotal. Coming from me, secondhand, it is. Regardless of the vagaries of the internet, we ALL decide to whom our trust is given. I do not sell ammunitions, not consort with those that do. My single devotion is to generate meaningful data from sources considered to be genuine. I believe my own eyes, and the work of those I value as friends.

Regardless. I'm out to defile paper and plastic. What called these cartridges to my attention was reports of their efficiency in close quarter combat and I do wish to get a feel for them before passing certain information along. If I consider them to be worthless for "civilian" use I'll simply forget it and move on. No, I will not have killed with them, and any chatterboxing is suspect and worth what you paid to see it.

Oh, and perhaps if we all promise not to do backyard root-canals, that dentist will stop telling us all about the munitions necessary to dispatch a foe.

No comments: