Saturday, November 17, 2007

First-grader suspended over drawing


EAGLE POINT — "A first-grader was suspended Tuesday for drawing a stick figure shooting another in the head with a gun and allegedly threatening students.

Little Butte School officials sent 6-year-old Ryan Weathers home after receiving complaints from parents saying he threatened their children, said Douglas Weathers, the boy's father.

"He's not a violent kid," Weathers said. "He did not mean any harm."

School district officials declined to comment. State law bars them from discussing disciplinary actions against specific students.

The disciplinary report given to Weathers stated the reason for the suspension was the boy "threatened to shoot two girls in the head."

The drawing was inspired by an episode of "The Simpsons," Weathers said. In the television cartoon, a character displays a drawing of a student being shot by a gun.

Weathers said he understands the concerns other parents may have, but felt the school went too far in suspending his son for one day.

"You can't blame the parents," he said. "I told the principal that I agreed that he shouldn't have done the drawing, but suspending him seems like a policy with no intelligence behind it.

"They didn't seem to care that he's only in the first grade."

Weathers plans to hold Ryan out of school until early next week. He wants a chance to talk to school officials before he lets his son attend class.

"I don't like him being out of school," Weathers said. "I'm not sure how this is going to affect how my kid is perceived. They may view him as a violent kid or a terrorist, or whatever."

The biggest issue Weathers had with the incident was that his son tried to blame the drawing on another kid.

"Lying is a big problem for me," Weathers said. "No matter what happens I tell him to tell the truth. I told him he was wrong for trying to lie."

Weathers said he owns a handgun, but he keeps it in a safe in a storage facility.

"I do own a .357, but my son's never even seen it," he said.

Weathers said he is looking forward to discussing the matter with Ryan's teacher during a conference Friday.

Until then, the boy's future at Little Butte School is up in the air.

"I don't know if I'm going to bring him back to that school," Weathers said."

Not having any kids I can't say precisely what my response would be should something similar happen, but I can tell you that no child of mine would darken the doorstep of any diploma mill run by the government. A short sitdown with the lad telling him that in this day and age such drawings frightens adults, then move on.

Suspending him for THAT pic?

Boggles.

No comments: