Friday, November 16, 2007

Meeting Ones Match...


If you've never fired a rifle chambered in .416 Taylor, you should first heed the following caveat.

Sumbitch KICKS.

An acquaintance had been pestering me to have a go at his Dakota Arms .416, and as soon as I spotted the Double-Tap ammo box it began to dawn on me that perhaps this wasn't the best time to try out yet another elephant gun, but as usual the glee-factor outweighed all thoughts of potential ouchness.

450 grain Woodleigh Weldcore exiting a 24" barrel at 2250 fps.

The rifle felt something along the lines of 9 pounds or thereabouts, and was a slick and accurate shooter. Since the friend is someone with more resources than gun-smarts, I learned little from him about the weapon itself, but the Mauser-like bolt action was more than sweet, treading into the realm of heavenly. At 100 yards from a rest and looking through a cheapie Chinese scope trying to pass itself off as a Leupold, 1 minute of angle was easily doable, but since 20 rounds of this ammunition goes for something along the lines of $80 bucks delivered I couldn't bring myself to capping off the dudes supply so I can't say what a 5 shot group would return.

The cost along with pummeling a recuperating wing bade me to take a few fun shots then call it a day, but should science ever clone a Tyrannosaurus Rex I now know just the rifle to take with me in search of one bigass head for the mantle.

But it'd most likely be a borrowed one as I don't have much use for such a longarm when clearing a glade of recalcitrant gators and awaiting the arrival of said sauropod would be vexing.

Now, if they made one in semi-auto with at least a 20 round magazine...

No comments: