Sunday, December 16, 2007

High School Tests...

Texas Style...

"As a high school senior, Kayla Thomas is used to being tested.

But she says an exam that was recently given in her AP Psychology class at Klein Collins High went too far.

“I read through the test. I couldn’t believe it was ever given out,” Thomas said.

The exam is called the Chitling Test.

It’s full of multiple choice questions like this one:

Q: If a pimp is uptight with a woman who gets state aid, what does he mean when he talks about Mother’s Day?

A: The first and 15th of every month.

“I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t answer it. I didn’t know the answers. Didn’t think I should have to know the answers,” Thomas said.

Thomas went home and told her mom, who couldn’t believe it herself.

“One of the questions said ‘down home South, picking cotton’ and she was talking about a pimp … and I said ‘what?’” Kay Thomas said.

She says the test has no business in a school.

“It’s unacceptable. It’s totally unacceptable. They need to apologize to Kayla. They need to apologize to the class,” Thomas said.

A spokeswoman from Klein ISD declined to comment on camera.

Over the phone, she told 11 News the test is an approved part of the state curriculum for the AP Psych class."

Thanks to Texican Tattler

No comments: