Monday, January 01, 2007

The Good Shot


Some marksmanship courses teach you how to shoot. Others teach you how to train. Some teach you how to train to shoot, and then there's the ones teaching how to train to shoot trainers. Wait. Never mind, I lost myself but learn the following and you'll learn all there really is to know.

There are no advanced courses. A good shot learns the basics, then by practice and much diligence improves upon what he has already learned. It isn't rocket science, but just as in any endeavor, there remain people with a greater potential for learning. No one can teach you how to play Center Field for the NY Yankees. You must first possess the god-given basics, then learn the fundamentals and include them into your regimen. Knowing I would never be a great shot, I focused upon my strengths because the weaknesses were genetic and would never be overcome. I never had 20-5 vision, nor the reflexes to drop a nickle then draw and shoot it before it hit the ground. I learned to steel myself from the distractions of mortal combat, and hurrying as slowly as possible, shoot to kill. Each and every time.

Spray & Pray works with an M-60 at 5'. Everything else takes practice.

Pistol Marksmanship Training: The Basics

Pictured: The Weaver 2-handed grip

No comments: