Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ruger SA


The first single-action revolver I ever bought was a Ruger .41 Magnum, the spitting image of this .44. Not that much of a difference between .41 and .429, and my old friend Charlie who owned Frank's Reloading Service cranked out some downright dastardly loads for the beast. Back in '74 I had my 29 in 4" barrel chrono'd against one of Charlie's finest and the .41 won, hands down with regards to giddyup (but of course the longer barrel made a big difference). Elmer Keith offered that these Rugers were far finer than anything that ever made it out of a Colt factory, I'd have to agree, and that would be one of the few times EVER agreeing with that old coot. My old piece is still chewing holes in targets up north, remaining "on-loan" to a brother who rolls his own and can get the most out of one helluva gun.

No comments: