Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"The Beheaders"

Michelle Malkin has an update on the heinous beheadings in Jakarta, and as I've said now and again, this was once a town in which I lived. It was business, certainly not pleasure, but I thought I'd made some friends there and was admittedly ecstatic to have vaulted a cultural barrier, only to be let down hard when they turned on me for no other reason that I was a white American. A large enough white American to have barely smashed through the gauntlet of many tiny men waving machetes, and I still miss the old watch my Father gave to me on my 25th Birthday. Used it to buy a helicopter ride out of town, so trading my life for a mere possession was a good trade, no matter from whence it came.
_____________________________
Dateline Jakarta:

Seven suspected Islamic terrorists have confessed to beheading three Christian schoolgirls on Indonesia's Sulawesi Island, police said on Wednesday.

The seven detained suspects confessed under questioning that they planned and carried out the October 29 beheadings in the Sulawesi town of Poso, police chief Lieutenant Colonel Rudi Sufahriadi told The Associated Press.

Another girl was wounded but spared by the assailants, he said.
Two of the suspects also say they have ties to Noordin Top, regarded as a key leader of the al-Qaeda-linked group Jemaah Islamiyah, according to Central Sulawesi police chief Brigadier General Oegroseno.
Indonesia has arrested scores of militants belonging to the al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah terror group in recent years.
Jemaah Islamiyah has been blamed for a series of suicide bombings in Indonesia in recent years, including two separate strikes on the tourist island of Bali.

Animals.
____________________________

6 comments:

Joubert said...

I hope to read some more about your time there and in Borneo someday.

Is it your birthday yet?

Fits said...

Shame of it all was the postings AOL lost back when I was regularly talking about this stuff. The 2004 beheadings leeched a lot of old memories out, and I'll be honest, Pat; a lot of this stuff isn't pleasant to dredge up but there was funny as all hell shit going on too.

Fits said...

Ooops sorry. Yes, Tuesday, the 9th was my birthday.

Joubert said...

Happy birthday for Tuesday. I'm surprised - you look like a bull. Mine's next week. I guess you didn't keep your AOL stuff offline then. I can understand not wanting to keeping digging it up again.

Anonymous said...

Bl0ody hell!

happy Birfday!

Fits said...

Thanks, men. Appreciate it. Now if I can just squeeze into my duds for Old Uniform Night at the local VFW all will be well. Cookie was gracious enough to give me the scoop on a local Marine Corps League, too, and some of us might be ancient, but far from extinct.