Friday, September 08, 2006

And Why The Glock 22 Tomfoolery?

Because we have nothing better to do.

Crazy Jay has seen some of the data from the sandbox and is suggesting that the perfect concealed carry piece would be a Glock 27 with a Glock 22 barrel. 4.5" to make the most of the HST handloads he's fiddling with, in a gun still suitable for a fortified pocket or ankle carry. I counter with there's nothing the bloody hell wrong with a 22 all by it's lonesome and he parries by offering the fact that not everyone is as wide as an old refrigerator where a random lump or two here and there is unnoticeable. I concede that he has something of a point apart from the one perched atop his shoulders but offer that at close range is an inch all that much to concern oneself about. He shrugs and retorts that we could be talking 100 feet per second or more with the right load, and I say okay, you try it and see how it all works out.

The blubberheads masquerading as gun-experts will have you believe that short-barelled handguns require low-weight, high-speed cartridges to effect a decent thwap upon an unruly goblin, but that's because they don't keep up with the times and are unaware of the marvelous modern loads that expand and penetrate from all sorts of shortish weapons. Most are in bed with Winchester and Winchester people preach the age-old 180 grain bullet for a compact .45 acp, and a 230 grain for a standard one. But if I want to go 180 or even 200 I move to the .40 S&W that is giving full frontal giddyup as fast as, or faster than it's big brother the .45. .40's are constructed for high-pressure munitions and from this design are aborn'd many outstanding badguy bashers. Then there's reality. The 1911 is providing a slightly lower kill-ratio than the .40, and while I'm all for big-bore almighty I cannot help but go with what is working the best.

But that brings me squarely back into the Crazy Jay trap. A CCW or military or police hideout gun that flat out kicks unmerciful ass at bad breath range. The Glock 27 is pretty much the standard for punch per square inch in bottomfeeders when the 10 mm isn't in the picture, and the reason the 10 mm stays out of the picture is because it is not a prolific round that can be found in many incarnations, and as far as terminal ballistics, does nothing the .357 magnum cannot do. If one presumes the 10 to leave a more indelible impression upon the hearts and minds of those who would seek to end our sojourn upon Sol 3, then why not step up to the .41 magnum and be done with it.

See what I'm getting at? Where does it all end. It should end with a reasonable sentient agreeing that there is a limit to the size and kick the average person can withstand as he or she goes about life in the asphalt jungle. I've always thought that one should carry the biggest gun they can shoot well, but this type of thinking does not take into consideration the inherant laziness of erectus-shootist, or the fact that concealed means concealed and that in most cases this means small.

And back to the G-27 we go.

It tasks me.

I want you alive and well once the smoke clears and it's time to call the lawyer and the police. I want you to forget what the oafs of gundom are trying to sell you but it's a daunting task because there are thousands of them and one of me, and all I've ever done is kill many who needed it, while they have glossy magazines with pretty pictures. I can't win, but I can keep trying. So have a look-see now and again at my pretty pictures and understand why I go through the trouble of trying to catch your attention.

No comments: