Thursday, September 07, 2006

We Get Letters


"Why don't you ever talk about SIGS...?"

Mostly it's because I don't like Sigs all that much. I don't like such a high bore axis. I don't like a 10 lb. trigger with a slow reset that's intentionally designed that way to prevent law enforcement types from shooting themselves, or others, in the foot. I do not like weapons that are made difficult to operate for "safety" reasons. A gun cannot and should not be made safe. To even try is one of life's most ludicrous endeavors. Homeland Security likes Sigs. The FBI does too. Neither Homeland Security nor the FBI have to shoot their guns in anger very much, and this is a good thing because they'd miss even more than other law enforcement types do when using guns actually designed to shoot more so than be safe. They are expensive, glitchy, difficult to fire, but did I mention safe? That aside, most any gun is fun to shoot, and once you've gotten past the ergonomic nightmare that is Sig, they are that, plus accurate. The aftermarket sucks though, owners of used Sigs have been led to believe that they are in fact the diamond standard of the gun world and should demand top dollar when sold, and there's those $40 magazines and isn't that swell.

Now, if I could walk into a gun shop and spy a good condition Sig in .40 caliber for around $300 OTD, I'd be sorely tempted to buy one because I'm sorely tempted to buy most every gun I see. Even though these particular specimens feel godawful in my hand I'm not a Must-Fit-Me Queen, and have put up with all sorts of ergonomic despair to operate something I otherwise enjoyed, but even I can't talk myself into Sig. I don't mind ugly, either. Hey, I own Glocks. But a gun must have SOME allure other than the fact that an imaginary TV character waved one about, so Scully owning one simply won't do. I have a .40 caliber automatic that brings along 17 rounds, and as far as I can tell, Sig doesn't offer full capacity magazines either and what's the point of schlepping a bottomfeeder that doesn't.

Again; if the Feds fall in love with a gun it MUST be an abomination from the get-go. Compromises for all the wrong reasons. All this being said, anything that gets people to own and shoot firearms is a good idea, so Sig DOES have a purpose.

Just not for me. If you think they're pretty then by all means. I like revolvers and women to be pretty and tolerate autoloaders as utilitarian means to an end.

No comments: