Monday, January 15, 2007

Feeding The Mouse Gun

"Could you recommend me a 380 bullet for sefl defense uses?"

I have never shot, nor seen anyone shot with a .380, so any "recommendation" would be a secondhand guesstimate of dubious value. It was simply not in my area of expertise, or lack thereof, and even those whose opinion I trust are without up close and personal insight regarding this caliber. There are those who will discuss the matter and reference a bullets performance in ballistic gelatin, moistened newsprint, or bars of Ivory Soap. To me, this is professing that one may become a tennis pro by reading everything John McEnroe ever said on the matter but I prefer to at least pick up a racket before claiming to own Wimbledon lock stock and barrel.

Common sense would suggest that so diminutive a caliber might best be served by a deep-penetrator as the fodder of choice for stopping a full grown man. The Baka Pygmies of Central Africa are another story, and for them I would not hesitate to recommend any modern hollowpoint.

No comments: