Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Newest And The Bestest

On the left, Federal HST in .40 caliber. Cavernous hollowpoint that expands to an average of .87".

PMC Starfire, also in .40 caliber, and you can easily see the unique star that flattens the bullet out and open to approximately .83".

Both are 180 grainers, feed, fire, and fling from either G-27 or G-23 with equal ease, and to tell the truth, the chronograph readings are pretty much a dead heat. Either bullet will exit the barrel at 950-970 feet per second, and sometimes it just boils down to personal choice, but you'd be hard pressed to find modern rounds more efficient than these.

The Federal cartidge has the edge when penetrating auto-glass, and for law enforcement purposes this makes it more attractive, but the difference is far too minimal to select it for that reason alone. I've heard of calibrated gelatin tests where more than 4 layers of denim clogged the PMC's hollowpoint, so if one were paranoid about winter ammunitions one might be wise to select a different cartridge for the colder times of year.

Submitted for nothing more than water-cooler ramblings, and as always, your mileage may vary.

7 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

I think the HST costs less too.

What do you think of the Hornady XTP?

Fits said...

The HST's are $16/box of 50 because they don't do as well thru auto glass, and wowsers yeah, the XTP seems cool but I've yet to check it out for myself.

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»