Monday, September 10, 2007

Viet War Memorial Vandalized



As if I haven't been riled up enough lately, this has to happen:

"I spoke to a National Park Service employee who was livid that someone would vandalize the memorial. "It's like defacing a grave," he told me. When I asked if there were any clues as to who was responsible, he told me videotape was being reviewed. It is believed the damage was done on Friday night. Because the monument never closes, it could have taken place late in the evening when no one was around.

The most tragic part of the vandalism is that the damage appears to be permanent. The Park Service employee who talked to me said that the initial diagnosis was that the oily substance had stained the stone. He said another analysis would take place tomorrow."

Gives me shivers that wall does, always has. True story: Way back when the Marine Corps got the brilliant idea to recycle service numbers. I was issued a dead mans service number, and for years it caused me more trouble than I can relate. Nothing much was done with computers, so there were stacks and stacks of files that one office pogue or another would screw up, and I was often mistaken for the deceased Marine when it came time to check on my background. When they erected the wall they made the usual amount of blunders in filling in all the correct names, and yep, mine was originally on it. Not a problem, they says, just let us look into it and we'll correct the error. Long story short, they finally took me off, and it was sigh of relief time whenever I showed up at one reunion or another and didn't cause the faint of heart to faint away.

5 minutes with whomever it was that did this. I'll pay cash money to find out, and I ain't cheap.

Thanks to A Keyboard and a .45 for the story and link.

No comments: