Saturday, January 19, 2008

C. T. Brian Commander


Couple weeks back I promised to do a write-up on a C.T. Brian Colt Commander, and had the devil of a time spec'ing the thing out. Belongs to a friend and he hasn't clue-one as to what was done to the gun, save for the fact that he spent close to $6,ooo...no misprint...and that it "was loaded".

I also said that I was unfamiliar with CT Brian, but MEANT to say that I'd never done much shooting with one, not that I'd never heard of them.

Anyhoot, I never did get the full list of bells and whistles, but from a very sturdy rest it did slightly over 3/4 of an inch at 25 yards from the first magazine-full, and all told under a full inch for the 50+ rounds that we put through it in early January. Offhand, the gun is as accurate...with 230 grain Winchester White Box FMJ...as a person could ever want a handgun to be. Federal HST 230 grainers nosedived a time or two (or maybe more, ahem), a Cor-Bon 230 stove piped once, and that was that with regards to feed-fire-and fling.

The gun is one beautiful weapon. He's owned it for over a year and a half and probably has launched less than 200 rounds down the tube, so I for one would be interested to see what the thing can do when fully broken in. Not that I'd expect better accuracy, hell, without a Ransom it'd still have a lot to do with the shooter, but if I forked over 6-large I'd kinda want the thing to be stone cold reliable.

But at the end of the day one purchases a hand-crafted firearm for bragging rights as much as anything else, and dragging the thing along through one swampfest after another would be really really dumb.

A smidgen of personalized engraving...maybe some initials... then add a drop-dead-gorgeous holster and it'd be perfect for a Texas Barbecue.

No comments: