Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Teacher doesn't want guns on campus

Regarding "Bill OKs guns in schools" (Valley & State, Saturday):

"I am a native Arizonan. I am a former member of a U.S. Army airborne-infantry unit. I am a hunter, and I'm a 27-year veteran high-school teacher in a rural school.

I only have this to ask of Sen. Thayer Verschoor, R-Gilbert, and Rep. Karen Johnson, R-Mesa, and their supporters in regards to Senate Bill 1214: Are you insane?

The absolute last thing we need is to allow anyone other than law-enforcement agents to carry weapons on any school campus.

I know this is Arizona and some people have this idea that the Old West still hangs on here and some traditions are great to still have around, but concealed weapons on school campuses is not a good idea in any sense of the word.

Just because concealed-carry permit holders must pass a criminal-background check and take a gun-safety course, as I did for my hunting license, even though I knew considerable about it beforehand, does not mean that I or anyone else should be carrying a weapon on a school campus unless he or she is a law-enforcement officer performing his or her duties.

Before lawmakers pass this bill, they should see how teachers feel about it and not go off half-cocked and get someone shot because of this inane idea." - Pete Scholten,Show Low

Another magnificent idiot is heard from. True believer in the mystical powers one assumes when donning a badge. Will argue to the last breath that only police and criminals should ever carry a gun on school property.

And we sometimes wonder why the kids are dumber than ever?

Not after hearing from the likes of this detweiller.

No comments: