Sunday, July 16, 2006

Head Shots

I called the first three. Right eye, left eye, nose. Then got spunky and cranked out the next three as fast as I could, and plinked the forehead and the higher eye shot. Not the best shooting ever done, and the amusing part came after the range. Lisa was of course watching and expressing that wonderment and glee that I so very much enjoy. Being relatively new to the world of firearms, to her this was some good shooting and she wanted to tell her friends about it.

Problem is, well, they are, let's say, not the most conservative kids on the block, and bragging to them how I shot the eyes out of a target would have been too harsh, so she said instead that I shot a smiley face. And told ME that she fudged the truth and that she hoped I would understand. Women talk amongst themselves more than birds fly, this is natural and I am aware that certain of our adventures are for public consumption, so of course none of this was of a bothersome nature.

Would I be caught dead shooting a smiley face? Certainly not. Guns are for fun, yes indeed, but when squeezing a .357 at 25 feet my goal is to picture the infliction of immediate destruction upon a target and not the creation of a bumpersticker for gunners. And I learned something too, and that is always a good thing. DoubleTap 158's traveling at 1400 fps will go a tad high at that distance from that gun. This I had discovered while shooting the first 44 from the box, and as always, the last target and the last cylinder-full is for play, and I thought I had compensated for this propensity but when I let go as quick as I could, the remaining 3 were too high for my liking so it's more practice time to see if it was me, the gun, or the ammunition.

Any excuse to shoot some more, right?

PS: Sorry for the crappy pic, but the camera was running out of battery time and I rushed the shots. Always rushing the shots. Might be the death of me yet.

No comments: