Friday, January 18, 2008

Redford touts new generation of Sundance filmmakers


PARK CITY, Utah (Reuters) - The curtain rose on the Sundance Film Festival Thursday night with a spotlight on what founder Robert Redford called a new generation of filmmakers typified by Martin McDonagh and his opening film "In Bruges."

Award-winning playwright McDonagh made his debut as a film director with the drama about two hit men holed up in the small town of Bruges, Belgium. He was one of 58 first-time directors at 2008's Sundance, the top event for U.S. independent film.

Other films beginning to draw a large Sundance following are "It's 4 O'Clock And I Feel A Good Sad Coming On", "My Dog Keeps Staring At Me And I Think He Can Read My Mind", "I Shined My Shoes And Nobody Noticed", "The Whale Whisperer", a musical remake of High Noon but situated at Abu Graib and starring an all nude cast of AIDS victims, and the sequel to "It's 4 O'Clock..." entitled "Somewhere In The World It's 6 PM And I'm Crying".

No comments: