Sunday, January 15, 2006

Here's the only genuine reason to be constantly pissed about religion...

"Here in South Africa, the minister of health apparently thinks a cocktail of garlic and olive oil is a cure for AIDS, and in the rural areas, witch burnings still occur with dreary but tragic regularity.

But hey, at least we haven't had much trouble from creationists. Yet."

I could talk until I'm blue in the face about hateful, vengeful religious practices that on a daily basis cause the deaths of hundreds of people the world over. Extremists always make it hard for the majority, and that's not going to change anytime soon. Take Pat Robertson, transport him to some of the more backwards areas around the globe and the fur would fly like you wouldn't believe. Now, I've always been a faithful follower of James Randi's career...but sometimes his tirades against religion give me the thou-dost-protest-too-much willies. Sure religiong should be something private, but these days NOTHING is private and the exibitionist crowd loves to parade what was once behind closed doors out to the streets for approval or simple hey- look at me!

I still enjoy it when Mr. Randi sticks it to the scammers and conmen of the world, but enough already with the shamen. Give it a break now and then or appear to be on a vendetta rather than just exposing the sharks. It's his site and his call, and ranting against religion IS a shooting ducks in a barrel effort, and maybe that's what turns me off sometimes. I visit a lot of internet addresses seeking things I DON'T know, not to have the obvious waved in my face week in and week out.

Anyways, it remains a recommended stop-by. They can't all be gems all the time.

No comments: