Sunday, January 22, 2006

Letters, We Get Letters...

"I wanted to tell you about my experience at Landsthul (US Army Hospital). I was there for only three days and I had to return to Hohenfels because of medical coverage. Long story but we take care of the troops. When I was at LRMC, I was in the Emergency Department. I was on duty the day the Marines arrived from Iraq. These Marines were the survivors of the IED attack following their awards ceremony. They think it was an inside job because they were in a secure area. Anyway, when the bus arrives with the incoming wounded, we would go out and load them on stretchers, wheelchairs, etc. and bring them into Intensive Care.

They were less than 24 hours from the attack and had received buddy care and BAS (Battalion Aid Station) treatment, that kind ofstuff. Their wounds were extensive and fresh. One Marine, a non-com, young, MAYBE 22 years, had lost his right arm just below the elbow and still had a field dressing covering it. He was supervising the unloading of his troops. HIS troops, I know you understand.

He would not go into the hospital until he knew all his men were taken care of. When I walked up to him, he turned in my direction and snapped a solid salute at me, with half an arm.

I told him, "Son, you don't have to do that now." He responded to me, with his troops in sight, "Yes Sir, I do!'

Robert Lefler, Maj.

Semper Fidelis, Bob. Thanks for taking care of our boys.

No comments: