Saturday, January 21, 2006

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history."

Robert Heinlein

I do not go as far as one of my favorite Science Fiction writers...a noted conservative, pro-gun, pro-freedom man if ever there was one... but do feel that criticism of organized religion is a healthy thing. And totally devoid from the current conservative agenda. That bothers me. Enough that I admitedly kneejerk whenever someone whose political discourse is an admirable one decides to ascend the pulpit and regale us with what should be his private thoughts concerning his private matters. I hate being preached to when I'm not there for a sermon. I find it disengenuous for a political blog to suddenly shift gears into Jesus-Speak when the mood is upon them. Unseemly, and the worst sort of bait and switch. Which is why I'm considering removing Ankle Biting Pundits from my small but stellar list of links.

NOTHING is so sacrosanct as to be beyond reproach. When someone assumes such a stance that someone is then devoid of anything remotely resembling credibility, and impaired judgment is not a thing I want to be an enabler of.

Ankle Biting Pundits

But, is it POSSIBLE to be a staunch conservative and NOT kowtow? Comes with the territory so very much that you either hop aboard the lectern and agree with everything that someone else considers to be holy, or be dismissed as, gasp, a liberal?

Click, then scroll a tad to see what I'm ranting about. Time and a place for everything and it gives me the shivers when otherwise smart men stop dead in their blogging tracks in order to preach about how THEIR invisible man in the sky is so very much head and shoulders above anyone ELSE'S invisible man in the sky.

No comments: