Thursday, February 08, 2007

Federal Hi-Shok


So okay. Since Federal HST rounds are scarcer than hens teeth, I ordered some of the new Hi-Shocks. The older versions were quite accurate, expanded reasonably well, and were it not for Ranger-T's or HST I wouldn't mind using them as carry fodder on a regular basis. Since neither are locally available, I "settle" for such as Hi-Shok in order to fill all 30+ .40 caliber magazines lying around because heaven forbid there should be a gun in the house incapable of stopping a chinese division dead in its tracks. Never know. Can't trust those yellow hordes so I expect the worst . Once every three months I shoot off all of my existing premium rounds, and that is done for many reasons. Do they still feed, fire and fling, are the magazines in working order with those bullets being fed into those guns, and while my practice munitions are of the same weight and kick, I like to refamiliarize myself with the real deal as often as practical.

Then the infamous bullet-shortage rears its ugly head and after blowing my cookies in one sitting, I'm forced to scrounge for suitable replacements. Not that I don't have a few mags worth of HST, and Ranger-T, and Golden Saber, and Gold Dots, but I do not have enough to sate ALL of the bottomfeeders and this gives me pause. Hi-Shoks are not chopped liver, but I try and wring every last scintilla of

The round itself is quite different looking than the older variations. There is more of a taper to the bullet which I presume is there for more positive feeding, and the hollowpoint itself appears deeper. We'll see how they look after an up close and personal meeeting with some sodden telephone books, and it's not like I'll take such results to the bank, but it will be interesting to see how mushroomy the little darlin's can be.

Apologies for the horrid pictures. Battery was running low and I wanted to make a point concerning the physical characteristics of the above rounds.

Far right is a Federal HST, to its left is the new Hi-Shok, and to its left a Winchester JHP, Winchesters entry-level self-defense ammunition. The Hi-Shok does have a wider mouth, but how that translates to its terminal ballistics remains to be seen.

And if you're thinking that I'd have more than enough modern ammunition to go around if it weren't for the fact that I share, then bingo. But how can one not do so.

No comments: