Sunday, October 23, 2005

Will The White House Cave?

The Volokh Conspiracy - -

"Light at the End of the Miers Tunnel?: Here's another sign of a Miers tipping point — hints that the White House is at least pondering the scenario of withdrawing the nomination:"

The White House has begun making contingency plans for the withdrawal of Harriet Miers as President Bush's choice to fill a seat on the Supreme Court, conservative sources said yesterday.

Here's where we all get to see precisely HOW stubborn George Bush really is. And he's supposed to be stubborn, to fight for what he believes in, but there comes a time when it is no longer a simple matter of promoting your own agenda, and that time has long since arrived. We, you see, are HIS immediate superiors, his bosses, and while I commend him for not bending knee to every criticism leveled against him, I'd like to see some indication that he gets-it. I want to see him engaging his conservative base in intelligent discourse over the matter. I want a give and take, a... maybe-I-was-a-little-hasty so let's see what we can do about it.

In other words, I want him to be enough of a good policitian to do as he wishes then lie to us. Tell us how he's thinking of us 24/7 and is sorry, so sorry to have been misunderstood.

You know, like real life. Like every politician that ever lived has always done. And if it sounds a lot like the apologetic husband defending himself against a night out with the boys, well, duh. Where do ya think politicians learned this stuff?

Bottom Line? Harriet herself must withdraw so George can retain SOME semblance of strength. And don't even try to tell me that he wouldn't let her, that's bullswaddle, especially when discussing this particular President. She can't tell him that she no longer wants to do it; she can't tell him that it's hurting him and she doesn't want that to happen; she MUST tell him that she CAN'T do it. Something that a lot of us knew from Day-1, and that, one would hope by now, she herself sees to be the truth.

It's over my head George, make me a Circuit Court Judge where I can go and learn my trade, but right this moment I cannot do the job you asked of me.

Wouldn't everybody just love her to death for that?

Link to the Volokh Conspiracy found at: Bench Memos on National Review Online

No comments: