Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Best Way To Shake The Blues

The V-Tech killings left me stunned for any number of reasons, and when in doubt shoot it out. I'm here to tell you that Remington's 3" Buckhammer 1 and 3/8 slugs, um, have something of a kick to them.

Accuracy is of course useless to report upon because slugs can be terrific in one barrel and stink on ice in another, but using a modified choke in a Mossberg tube, 3" @ 50 yards was the best I could manage. Switched out to an improved-cylinder choke and the holes shrunk to a nearly unmeasurable hair over 2". Still nothing to write home about because we're talking about a smooth bore and not a rifled barrel, and since they're somewhat pricey...$12 and change for 5...might as well stick with any number of other slugs if distance is going to be a factor.

For home defense? 15-20 feet and they're as accurate as anything else. Trust me, you won't feel the recoil if the shit hits the fan. The next day, yes. I wanted to try out something that'd be used for bad-breath-distance mainly because the upcoming hog hunt is a somewhat up close and personal affair. Sure, rifled slugs from a smoothbore are both cheap and probably as effective as any of the new and improved shoulder-crunchers but I began at one end of the scale and will work back to reality. I also had an insane hankering to see if a modified choke would handle these Buckhammers, and they spat out without a hiccough.

The Slaughter brothers tell me that 50-60 feet is considered long range shooting for the territory we'll be in, and since I'll not be needing a tack-hammer, pinpoint accuracy can be dispensed with in favor of bang for the buck.

PS: I wanted to include some pics but Blogger isn't obliging.

No comments: