Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Big Ammo Rip Off Continues

"Saw what Cabelas pays for their 7.62x39 Wolf Ammo."

$40 for 500 rounds is their cost. The cost on the shelf again is $109 for a markup of $69 bucks, or 172%.

We've been saying for quite some time that ammunition raw material prices have been dropping, and more than one person has sent information akin to the above to my attention.

Cabela's once sold 1000 rounds of 7.62X39 Wolf for $74. Back then they were paying approximately $50 (from manifests that were seen such as in this instance) and were glad to make $24 in profit.

But as soon as we became accustomed to higher prices, they began gouging. Cabela's now pays $80 for 1000 rounds and charges $218.

It's their business. It's what the market will bear. Obviously. What fries my clams is the lying. The "woe is us! Ammo pricing is SKYROCKETING!!"

No, it is not. Make your money, but don't take me for a fool. The eloi among us think this is just hunky dory. That's why they're eloi.

In my adult life I have never bitched about paying fair market value for anything. I shoot over 500 rounds of various munitions a week and will continue to do so. It is my hobby, it is fun, and through it I maintain the proficiency necessary to protect my family. This is not the ravings of a cheapass. Tell me what you want for what I want but without the bullshit.

If that's asking too much then it's obvious I'm not dealing with men.

No comments: