Monday, June 25, 2007

Once More Into The Breech


Most of the major forest fires...the authorities still are calling them "brushfires" as if 100,000 acres of nothing but fallen pine and sage were burnt to a fair thee well...most of them have been either extinguished or fully contained so as soon as I'm back on my feet again its off to the woodlands for more adventures. First of all I require another cheapie shotgun and that's easy enough to acquire but it'll take some time to pattern the thing a little. Still toying with the idea of bringing along a Casull as a backup but were I to lose a real gun it'd piss me off to no end. We also need another beater to get us into then out of the swamp/woods, and while the old Suburban was magnificent it gave up the ghost in the line of duty so Eart is perusing the junkyards and used car lots for something big and unregrettable. The way they do it is to fell an animal, field dress the thing, then prep it for towing along behind the vehicle. Depending upon the size of the critter, it may be rendered into parts or, as I found to my amazement, sold almost on the spot to someone wishing gator tail or hog ribs. I'd also wondered why these wood dwelling lads took to me so readily, but every group needs its gofer and I do remain a soft touch for ammo-lending. They continue to look askance at anything resembling an AR, but that's to be expected. Varmint hunting is done with old fashioned, cheap-ass .22's or buckshot, and as I've well learned, at any given point in time one might very well lose a firearm so what's the point. EVERYONE has a plethora of shotguns, the weapon that fells anything from a pigeon to a bison, and I'm appreciating the old scatter-gun platform more and more as I learn more and more about hunting. I can't field dress anything for squat, but I hit what is aimed at and can carry my own weight. I asked Jasper about deer hunting and were it not for the fact that I'm a sworn Hogtown Irregular it might have gotten ugly, but he does hear tell that some folk get licenses when they want to bring home some deer meat but no one he knows ever went so far as to ask the government for permission to eat.

No comments: