Sunday, June 17, 2007

Deadly Force

Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:
  • Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
  • Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.
If I see someone breaking into my car, the following is not only reasonable but lawful. I present my weapon and demand the thief cease. If he decides to flee, then fleeing is cool. If he continues with the attempt to rob or burgle, he's toast.

And yes. As long as I was following the letter of the law you're damned right I'd shoot if someone in the process of stealing from me. There's a new gun board that recently emailed me and asked if I'd help to spread the word. Was thinking about it. Took a look inside and one of the moderators was going on about not shooting someone simply because they were committing a robbery, then quickly clicked out. Moderators are a different breed. They in essence speak for the web log or forum they are representing and more power to them. No one should tell me how to run my digs, and I extend the same courtesy. I just won't go there any more. There are enough wussies bemoaning the fate of the poor criminal; how one should stop and think before capping someone over a TV or stereo system, or even an automobile. I say it's up to the ROBBER to think about these things BEFORE he tries to steal.

If the law grants me the right, within reason but of course, I will avail myself of all means necessary to protect me and mine.

Case closed. YMMV. Do what feels right for you, but spare me the plea.

No comments: