Monday, June 11, 2007

Going Small?


Throughout my life I've owned but one small caliber rifle. Well, lots of them but they all were chambered for .22. I always figured that a light-loaded .308 or 30-06 could handle small gaming chores, and a well-stoked 7mm for when a tad more oomph is preferable over and above what the aught-six varietals could provide.

But I'm not a hunter. I just like shooting and justified my lifelong purchases by making believe that some day I'd use this caliber rifle for this game, and that caliber for that game, etc. One of the brothers, MY brothers not the Slaughters, even owns a 338 Winchester that would be A-Okay for taking down pretty much anything that walks the earth, except maybe for a charging bull elephant. For such a calamity I'd borrow a 375 H&H from my cousin Sal and not look back. Sal once shot a polar bear in the ass with one and killed it dead then told everyone that he was so snow blind he thought he was shooting at its head but thats another story.

Where was I...oh yeah, rifle calibers. Damn but there are a truckload of smallish rounds making quite the fuss nowadays. Since I do not own a new fangled poodle-shooter rifle, Nat Slaughter says I should have a look at the 204 Ruger. Sure, a 34 grain pill cranking 4000+ fps is cool, but while I do agree that maybe its time to go small, I don't want THAT small. But a 25-06 might be just the ticket. 85 grains @ 3470, or 110 grains @ 3100 isn't chopped liver. Folks in the know tell me that everything from prairie dog to deer can be taken with the 25, and it just might fill that gap in my arsenal.

No comments: