Saturday, October 22, 2005

Shopping Around...

Was over at Hog On Ice and he was chatting it up about how he'd like to buy a replacement TV from a local merchant but can get the one he wants far cheaper online, and it brought to mind the extra I myself shell out for local products to support my main hobby.

But for me it's an incremental deal. Box of ammo here, cleaning kit there, and it's a trip to the poor house by degrees rather than the all at once sticker shock of purchasing a high priced item all at once.

Still and all, figured I could save a bundle just on ammunition alone if all of my purchases were done online, but I've always been a touchy-feely, lemme grab onto that for a second type of guy, and that even includes things that have equal value and substance no matter where they are ordered from. And in the days of mom & pop stores going out of business faster than ever, I guess I feel it's my civic duty, a homefront tax if you will, so I still frequent the places that charge more but include the human element as well as the product.

And yes, I'll spend a buck or two more here and there from a small outfit rather than shop at Wal-Mart...the arch enemy of "diversity", especially when it comes to dealing with people who haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about and nine times out of ten will try and sell me something I neither want nor can use because they don't know any better.

Just a thought for a Saturday afternoon.

No comments: