Saturday, October 22, 2005

Steyr .40


Here's a pic of the Steyr S40, the type of semi-automatic that Misha over at the Rotweiller was talking about the other day.

Now, I've never been turned on or off by the looks of a bottom-feeder, I usually reserve my oohs and ahhs for good looking revolvers, and for example I own a Glock because to me semi-auto's have always been utilitarian pieces and nothing more. For a time I subconsciously shied away from Kimbers because it just was too much of a girls name, and if I ever DID need a scazillion shots to extricate myself from a self-defense jam, well, it was my fault in the first place for getting into such a ruckus, so I'm not a 19-round magazine kind of guy either.

But sorry, this to me is just one ugly gun. Becoming more popular now that they have a US plant to take care of quality control issues, but to date no police departments...or so damned few of them it doesn't show up on anyone's radar...use them, and that means parts aren't in great supply and there aren't hundreds of thousands of cops wringing out the bugs day in and day out.

For target shooting and just giggles and grins, why not, but for serious home protection or concealed carry, for my money it's what has been time-tested, and that means a good model 1911 or a Glock as far as semi-automatics.

But when all is said and done, most folks still carry revolvers as their CCW weapon of choice, or switch to them after realizing that 5 or 6 guaranteed is better than 19 or 20 maybe.

If I'm not packing the G27 in .40 S&W, it's the Ruger GP-100 in .357 magnum.

Then again maybe I just have a thing for G's.

No comments: