Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Tomatoes Ripen

The cherry tomatoes took on something of an elongated shape, but since I've never grown this particular variety before I am unsure if it was their intended dimension or something of a cross-over propagation from the plum plants. The smaller are of course the cherries, with a still-ripening plum for comparison. I should have included a measuring stick, but oh well. The cherries are averaging two and a half inches in length, so there.

Not that they're ready, a day or so more would have sufficed to produce prime flavor, but I wanted to taste them and was not disappointed.

A salt fanatic, I dared not use more than the slightest sprinkling, for they were that acidic and wonderful. Here in Florida, even the store bought kind are very good tomatoes...something I was without when we lived in Iowa, the land of the generic vegetable sans taste...but from my own vines such delicious fruit has borned.

In another week or so, let the sauce-making begin.

No comments: