Saturday, July 14, 2007

Off To Slay The Lizard

Since the wildfires have subsided, its time to get back into the swamp and I'm just about done with gathering the right gear. A rather stiff leather billy club with a pound of lead sewn in the first 3" makes a decent enough get-away-from-me persuader, along with an 8" tanto-blade rough use knife, and a Glock 23 on the hip loaded with 200 grain fmj's cranking at 1150 fps. Going with a shorter barreled
12 gauge stoked with Remington Buckhammers (602 grains @ 1500 fps) this time around and fitted with a far sturdier sling should I need both hands for whatever. I decided to go with the G-23 over a .357 magnum simply because having 14 rounds at one's disposal might be a good idea if encountering more than one wetland denizen at the same time. I can let off a full magazine, plus one in the chamber, at around 5 seconds while keeping a hole the size of a grapefruit at 25', which is critical when facing things that are a lot damned faster than I am. I've a map and a compass, some familiarity with the area, and but of course am bringing a flashlight, canteen, and some of those gods awful health food bars.

We simply need a better map of the swamplands because the fires have considerably rearranged both flora and fauna. Noon to zero-dark-thirty seems about right.

No comments: