Sunday, February 18, 2007

The First And Last Time I'll Ever Click Into This Site

Assault Rifles For Hunters?


by Jim Zumbo

"As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods."

He and Remington will never see a dime of my money, and I've emailed them to say as much. And as far as Mr Traditionalist checking in from a spot he no doubt used something other than a horse to arrive at, and something more suitable than a black powder musket to accomplish the demise of unwanted coyotes...

What a stupid, cowardly, dirtbag. My rights aren't yours to barter for kisses from the feds and bennies from Remington, who by the by makes ammunition and parts for those terrorists we call Marines. I don't advocate abusing the elderly, but this is one guy I'd gladly knock on his clueless ass just for the fun of it.

Oh and PS. Now I'm glad we don't get the Outdoor Channel, and am preparing a scathing email to them as well.

War on Guns pointed the way.

No comments: