Monday, July 16, 2007

Glock "Unintended" Discharge

PLEASE READ FIRST: This did not happen to me. Thanks to all who left comments expressing sympathy. but no, brothers, I'm simply the Messenger.

"Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if", but "when".

My number came up and I paid a hefty price.

Last Friday I was preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine.

I had just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean it after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awesome movie BTW.

I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag. I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it later. I went upstairs and put the weapon in the tool box in the garage.

About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the slide. I done this literally thousands of times in the last fifteen years, but this times things were a little different. I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the take own pins and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!!

Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of habit too?

Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but it passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around what I did. I was SO angry at myself.

I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and "thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't help. I guess I'm getting over it, but it still seems very surreal to me.

Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me. I DID NOT hear the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very clear image, and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand...perfect .45 diameter not bleeding....yet. I took a few seconds, and then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose."

No. It is never a matter of when. Nor a matter of time. That, you see, is the beginning of justification. A one-way ticket to Hadda-Happen-Ville. Bound to. Everybody does it. See. I'm really not the only one who has done such a stupid thing. Now they've even taken to dropping "accidental" and replacing it with "unintended". Does the term white-washing ring a bell? Uh huh. His "number" came up. Lord of the morning but these cowardly sloths disgust me.

I spent the better part of my adult life around men with serious weaponry. I've seen men shoot other men because they cheated at cards. They went to prison. I've seen men shoot themselves or someone else due to negligence. They were discharged under less than honorable conditions. All of this, "Aw, gee willickers, but it was only an accident, no wait, it was UNINTENTIONAL, yeah thats the ticket." is quite new to me. Here's hoping I never grow accustomed to it.

1 comment:

fits said...

http://thewgnews.com/googlesearch.php