Friday, January 13, 2006

So I put the new FOBUS into the oven, set on approximately 100 F and let it sit there a while warming up. Took the thing out after maybe 20 minutes and immediately slammed in the G-27 to see if it'd open up a bit and form itself around the gun.

Worked a little. I can crank the Glock in and out a little easier, but it remains far too tight for a self-defense carry holster. Can imagine myself surounded by a gaggle of Mau-Mau's or space aliens or even a rabid Rotweiller or two and yanking out gun and holster together and that's not a good thing. The FOBUS secures the gun via the trigger guard and that's what's causing me grief. Still and all, it's brandy new so I'll work it out some more. Don't get me wrong, I like a tight gun and holster arrangement but this is beyond the pale. Thinking maybe of heating it again, then squirting some Armor All in there too. Leather is so very much finer but the bloody FOBUS was so cheap I couldn't turn it down. In practice, the principal seems to be valid and I should just stop bitching and work it in properly. A bad thing about leather is it discoloring from perspiration and retaining a wonderful aroma that signals you're carrying a gun for anyone with half a decent sense of smell, and even the finest of interiors attract sand and gritty things that can scratch the weapon. That's why I had the bright idea to go plastic. Lightweight, easy to clean and no inbeds. Very soon I'm going to get hold of some leather from a craft store and make my own holster. I can sew, a little, and it can't be that hard to slap in some snaps if I want to as well. Maybe try lining it with something that doesn't retain moisture or dirt, but we'll see. My brain tells me that this isn't Nam or Mesopotamia so what's the big deal but my gut says otherwise. Listening to the gut is wise.

No comments: