Wednesday, March 08, 2006

All Cleaned Up...

And ready to get all down and dirty again. Not a great picture, as the blog kept crashing on me and I had to fiddle with the image to make it acceptable to the Lords of Full Frontal Fuckery, aka Blogger.

Beat the begum out of it with over 100 rounds of Double-Tap ammunition, and the chronographed velocity for this gun using those cartridges is extraordinary. Shade over 1600 fps with 125 grain Gold-Dots from DT, and a hair under 1400 fps for the 158's. From a 3" barrel. Since this is a carry gun I wanted to be sure of recoil, point of impact at various distances, and extra-heavy loadings can cause crimp jumping and cylinder lock, but let's face it; it's a Ruger.

Recoil is moderate using the big-boy-bangers, and non-existant when dropping to "normal" Speer Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, or my favorite for plinking water jugs, PMC Starfires.

We'll be shooting again tomorrow, and I've managed to get my hands on a Glock 38 in .45 GAP. Lem had a go at one the other day and liked the heck out of the thing, so we'll see if it's as decent a sidearm as it's larger cousin, the 37. I really want to chronograph the rounds as well to wild-ass-calculate what sort of expansion can be expected from a less than full sized barrel.

2 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

I notice that you use Hogue grips. I put them on all my S&W revolvers, but I always thought that the grips that Ruger put on the GP-100 series were fine. Why do you prefer the Hogue?

Fits said...

It's hard for Lisa to shoot max loads with the original grips. The oversized Hogues make shooting the 3"-er so tame as to be unreal. I'll switch back to the rosewood inserts when carrying the gun, but for ranging it's far more comfortable to let loose a barrage of ammo generating over 700 foot-pounds of energy wearing my rubbers.

Plus, when I registered this particular GP with Ruger they were running a special on the grips so I jumped at the chance of getting them half price.