Thursday, March 09, 2006

Before I get one...

I want to do my own tests for expansion. The Glock 38 in .45 GAP is one fantastic little sidearm. Accurate, easy on the backstroke, and with low flash ammo such as Speer's 200 grain Gold Dot, an absolute pleasure to make holes in paper with. And wonder of wonders, the G-38 with it's 4" barrel kicks out the low-to-medium sized bullets a little bit faster than it's big brother the G-37, and it's 4.6" barrel. The ammo manufactures say it has something to do with those crazy barrels that Glock uses, along with the uniqueness of the GAP round itself..

The G-39? Tad snappier, and don't go fitting me for that skirt just yet, I only mention "snappy" because that is what I am asked about. Over and over. I think it's just fine, and only wonder about the 3.5" barrel with regards to expansion. The Speer guy says that it's borderline, the Winchester guy says, well I can't tell you what he says because most of it revolves around something akin to spitting noises. The Ranger 230 grainers will do just fine in 37, 38, and 39. The guy says.

The man from Remington wants to kow if I like the looks of the Golden Sabers over the Gold Dots and I think that he might be better off getting a job in fashion.

I'm going to find that outdoor range, the free one on state property, and bang the begum out of all 3 guns using several brands of ammunition, then retrieve the bullets to have a look-see. The thought of such a small .45 caliber handgun...the 39 is the same size as my 27, the 38 around the size of the 23...cranking out 230 grain pacifiers is something one should give serious consideration towards.

I like big holes. Bigger the better. Now if they'd only make a big fat bullet with a board strapped across it's ass so it doesn't over-penetrate, sign me up Katie, then bar the door.

2 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

I thought you would like it. It was hard for me to believe that the recoil was so mild. I'll be interested to see how your expansion tests go.

Fits said...

Copy that. Push back without a trace of "snappiness". Well broke in gun, and I think he replaced the recoil rod with a tungsten one and lowered the spring pressure but, duh, I don't remember. Wasn't plastic, that's for sure.