Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Entry-Level 1911...

If you simply must have a decent 1911 that won't break the bank, then check out the Springfield GI. Prices are always location specific, but this slightly used one (under 100 rounds fired) went for $370 out the door. New should be under $500, or close to it. And yes, there are those who swear by even less expensive variations of the old semi-auto .45, but without having used a Rock Island Armory (just as an example), I wouldn't pass along internut rumors. Under $300 but until I get my hands on one, or receive a recommendation by someone I know and trust, it's still a Springfield.

High-end? Take your pick. $3000 is not unusual for a target .45, and I've friends who've spent over $6000.

UPDATE: For those who do not peruse the comment section, Lem opined that the Rock Island line features soft-steeled construction, and not something to pass down to your grandchildren. His recommendation of a .357 Taurus for self-defense was a sound one if you're not a girly with a sore wristy. If this is the case, then practice with chicken .38's (be sure to scrub away any cylinder fowling to a fair thee well before upping the ante to .357), and carry the come to Jesus loads for street and/or home persuasion.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking unit. Better than the .50 cal monstrosity.

Fits said...

Ya know, I simply cannot tolerate a gun, any gun, that is made just to poke holes in targets, Bad. A .22 plinker or something of that sort, okay, but for me the 1911's are for one thing and that's self defense. Accuracy is terrific but one of my cousins has a jazzed up .45 that will only feed hardball, and only certain brands of hardball. A tack driver for sure, once you get familiar with it the bloody thing will make one big hole in the same place time and again, but try using modern ammo and it's no-go. And those .50 cal's are going to be a nightmare. We're talking 7 grand out the door, and sweet geez but they are going to shake themselves to pieces to the point wherein the final versions will weigh 4 pounds and you'll have to go to the range with a sack full of extra springs just to get off a box of ammo.

Toys are cool but I'm too frickin old fashioned when it comes to the .45's and it's almost akin to heresy for me to see ones that do nothing but pose. Rant over.

Lemuel Calhoon said...

Rock Island Armory is like the old Star PD. It will work well for its service life, which is measured in several hundred rounds because the metal is too soft.

If you're looking for a defense gun and you can't afford more than that get a Taurus .357 revolver.

Fits said...

Good advice. Problem is the modern day love affair with semi-auto's. Don't see anyone in the movies with a sensible sidearm and it's difficult to wean some folks away from the premise that they NEED a 17 round bottomfeeder. Taurus IS making a good gun nowadays, Lem. I swear that some of the triggers I've fidddled with lately remind me of some of the old sweet S&W's. And don't get me started about the dropdead tack driver my GP-100 is. I've got a carry rig that hides the big ass rubber Hogue grip fairly well, and if Double-Tap 158's cranking out Gold Dots around 1400 fps isn't working then it's time for me to take up knitting.

Wait. I already did.

Anonymous said...

I don't have enough money to buy any pstol, but if I did it would be a Colt .45 M1911A1 or something close, like the .45 featured here.

AS far as I know tankers were the only enlisted issued .45. We didn't get to fire it much and at that time, I was a lousy shot, but I still have fond memories of the only pistol I have ever fired.

Fits said...

I was lucky enough to have used quite a few 1911's, and just about all of them were pretty good guns. Bought my very first one from a guy going back to the states and it served me well. Paid 30 dollars, greenbacks not military script, and sold it for 30 when it was my time to rotate. Little did I know that I'd be buying another in a mere 7 months, but that one was a sweet shooter that fed, fired, and flung just fine.

It is very difficult to go wrong with a good model 1911. Might be a tad on the large size for some folks to carry if carrying is one's desire.

I hope that someday soon you will find yourself with another .45, Bad. It, and the venerable .357 magnum are, after all, the preferred sidearm for the discerning gentleman.