Sunday, March 12, 2006

Smooth old snubs

Have my eye on this gun. S&W 19-6. I'd call the condition 95+, cylinder is rock solid, trigger is nice, breaks well. Barrel is clean and shows no sign of wear at all, forcing cone is clean, and it latches & unlatches smooth as silk. Looking for a kit-gun actually. Something to bob and tailor for CCW. Everyone says take a step down and look for a good .38, but I'm partial to .357 or at the very least +p .38 and would have a care in shooting anything too hot out of an older .38. I practice with what I carry, and while it's expensive it's the way I like it, so suggesting shoot .38's and carry +p's won't work in my case.

Good thing about used guns is the sometime willingness of the owner to let you shoot the thing. I'll give it a try.

Beautiful little gun. Might just get it anyway, and keep looking for something smaller.

7 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

S&W is making J frame .357s, however the service life issue comes into play. Even with everything that they can do to make them stronger you are still looking at a gun with a lifetime of several hundred rounds.

Remember also, the m19 will not stand up to unlimited .357 shooting. That is why S&W came up with the L frame. Speaking of which Smith makes a 21/2 inch 686.

The best you're going to do in a tiny .357 is the Ruger.

Fits said...

Yeah, it's driving me to distraction. Every time I say I'll get a gun that I know doesn't have a track record for longevity and promise myself that I won't shoot it a lot, I shoot it a lot anyway. There's no such thing as a tiny powerhouse that will last forever, and I should just stop trying to overlook the laws of physics. Or that I'll only shoot .38's. Not going to happen.

In the long run, I'll probably wind up getting an SP-101 and have it tuned and snipped and buffed to the nines.

But dang the old 19's look so nice.

Lemuel Calhoon said...

.38 +P 158 gr SWCHP is something to think about. The 19 would last forever shooting them and they have a respectable record of one shot stops. You can also load your own so that they exactly match the preformance of the factory stuff. That lets you shoot all you want for something like $3.50 per box.

Lemuel Calhoon said...

Also, if you pass on the 19 pictured how much does the guy want for it. I might be interested.

Fits said...

Copy. The single reason I didn't scarf it up without even thinking was the price. I was born at night but not last night. He started at $450. I recovered from the fit of laughter and offered him $250. If he budges and I turn it down I'll ask him to hold until I hear what you feel would be reasonable.

Lemuel Calhoon said...

Thanks. $250.00 is reasonable given that they don't make them like that anymore.

Fits said...

Copy.