Friday, April 07, 2006

Bus Stop

So today I drove the bus on campus. University of Florida. It's all part of advancing my skill level, because highway driving is nothing compared to weaving around brainless kids who believe that a crosswalk simply MUST be protected by a force field generated directly from the Starship Enterprise.

Seriously though, most of the folks were smart and friendly and polite. There ARE idiots who dart out in front of a 40' bus then look at you like somehow you should have known they would attempt such tomfoolery, but all in all I was impressed. The teachers, well, they're another thing. I am under no obligation to stop and pick ANYONE up, as I am on what's simply referred to as a training bus, but what the hell, why not, so I do. But my schedule atop the front of the bus is non-existent, and several times I was reprimanded by professor-types for not displaying from whence I came, and to where I was headed. I do not expect teachers to know much of anything so this did not upset me, but I DID review the facts of life to one particular fellow who by now must have regained the ability to stop wincing, have blown his widdle nose, and wiped away all those tears.

The kids thought it was great. Anyhow, I go for my Skill and Driving Test on Wednesday morning, so wish me luck. If I do get my license then I can stop going miles out of my way so as not to see those poor crippled frigs waiting for buses to take them home. I can stop on by whenever there's a need and pitch in. I've gone through all of the physicals, the background checks, and most of the tests, so it's all kosher. I like kosher. I'll be a documented bus driver, and the air conditioning aboard those buses is top notch so what's to bitch about.

Did I mention the pencil-neck professor who...

2 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

I had a business meeting with a doctor at the ECU med school once. My associate needed to visit the admissions office to get some info for his niece. We asked directions of two students.

"Its like over that way". "You take. . . the road, yeah, the ROAD that's it".

That was a few years ago. Now they are operating on people's hearts and brains.

Fits said...

Scary, and so true. The University of Florida has maybe 45,000 students, the local Community Colleges another 15-20 thousand, and this time of year the gals are doffing clothing at an alarming rate. One of the late-night runs...by the real campus busses...goes from the tavern area in town, back to campus, and 50-60 drunken, near-naked gals stuffed into each bus is a fairly common sight.

THAT's why they perform stringent stress tests on the drivers.