Saturday, April 08, 2006

Return Of The Flying Ashtray


I've mentioned Federal's new entry into the self-defense ammunition market before, and had a chance to watch some rounds being chronographed.

Glock 23, 4" barrel: 1052 average fps with a 180 grain bullet.
Glock 27, 3.5" barrel: 1021 average fps with a 180 grain bullet.

These are pretty close to the manufacturers claims so I have little doubt that the 155 and 165 grainers will be kicking up a decent enough storm for that time when you positively MUST make a point.

Or a hole.

The .40 and .45 caliber versions expand (as per Federals claim as well as independent back yard testing done by literally hundreds of enthusiasts) to roughly the size of a quarter, and ballistic gelatin tests have turned in approximately 13" worth of penetration.

I'll be trying some for feed, fire, and fling in a few Glocks, and will post the results when I get the chance. I'm not saying that they'd replace the Ranger T's, but they certainly are an intriguing round. Tests are one thing, field results are another, and I've yet to see any feedback from what happens out there in the real world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't Speer discontinue the Flying ashtray in favor of their 200gr. Gold Dot? I hear they're keeping it as a component but not as live ammunition. If so, do you know of a part number so I can reload?

Fits said...

A thousand pardons. I was using the "Flying Ashtray" appellation to describe the looks of the new Federal HST's. Those gaping maws brought to mind the old wide as hell hollowpoints.

Never intended to lead a fellow gunster astray.

Fits