Tuesday, March 07, 2006

How Sharp IS it...

Recently got my hands on a Kershaw Blur, and while it was sharp as hell, I wanted it to stay that way so I got out the stones.

How sharp should, or can your personal blades be? Sharp as you want, and the only real way to tell is NOT to flail away at paper, but to make an easy rig that establishes a reference point from which to either keep on honing or stop and admire.

You'll need a single-edged razor blade to start. And some lengths of medium-weight sewing thread. Colors are optional. Holding the blade sharp-side-up, drape a length of thread over it so the two sides hang down 10" or so. Now comes the hard part. You'll need some weights, and sinkers will do just fine as long as they've been established to provide a reliable weight. In other words, no Wal-Mart cheapies that look heavy enough but don't tell you squat about how heavy they are.

4 ounces. Hang a 4 ounce weight from the sharp side of a razorblade and the thread slices clean off.

Then it's on to your blade. 8 ounces or less means one sharp as hell knife. 10 ounces or more and I don't care how well it carves into 20 bond inkjet paper, you've got yourself a dull ass blade. I managed to bring the Blur from 9 ounces down to 6 and that's plenty good for my purpose of ownership. The Shrade Old Timer stays at 10 because there's so very much chrome in the mix I don't want it getting brittle. Or something like that. It's a utility knife, I don't need a razors edge, and the thing sees brutal service. I've a dozen or more other knifes, from folders to machete's, all in various states of repair of lack thereof. For me it is therapeutic to sit beside a roaring fire and make an edge, so I highly recommend it. Just be sure to leave before the hook & ladder trucks arrive.

PS: As far as I know, the man who came up with the razor & thread system was Gunner Day. A Marine Warrant Officer that I had the honor and privilege of knowing, if but for a short period of time. One pays attention to a guy wearing but one ribbon when that ribbon happens to be the Medal of Honor. Took out wave after wave of Japanese attacks on his position with not much more than a "seabag fulla .45's and God's own luck, boy." His position was reinforced, and a Captain asked for a body count. They stopped at 117 because they were losing the light and had to move on.

Did I mention that the Gunner was a pretty good shot, too?

No comments: