Tuesday, March 07, 2006

S&W .44 Mag Light Hunter

One of my brothers has such a revolver, and has taken at least one black bear with it. He rolls his own and has the usual proprietary, super-secret rounds that he swears by. The blackie was a fair-sized specimen, weighing in at 450+ if I remember correctly, but since I am unsure as to which state he was even in when he took the thing who really knows.

Beautiful gun, but as followers of my rambling retardedness are aware, I am into the CCW stage of my firearm life and would find this baby somewhat difficult to conceal. In Florida. With summertime just around the corner.

When I finally get around to it, I am going to go for a Redhawk in .44 mag. Kinda like the longer cylinders that allow the use of Buffalo-Bore type ammunitions. A 340 grainer cranking out at 1400 fps is into .454 Casull territory, and plenty sidearm for anyone not traveling to the Great White North and Grizzly country. My dreams of the S&W .500 were dashed after seeing someone even larger than I whincing like a schoolgirl after touching off an admittedly hot round. The recoil doesn't irk me as mych as the improvements they've made to the .460, and the gradual rate of twist that allows the bullet to clear half the barrel before reaching full spin. Cuts down dramatically on the initial twist from all of that torque happening all at once, and am hoping S&W will make future X-Frame barrels equally as forgiving.

Sure, the .460 will handle .45 colt and .454 Casull, while the .500 will shoot, well, .500 Magnum and .500 Special, but my way of thinking, if you can call it that, is why go almost all the way when all the way is obtainable. I want the ammo manufacturers to introduce some flat-shooting JFN 440 grainers going 1700 fps from an 8" tube, right after S&W upgrades the barrel configuration to gradual twist. When that happens, I'll take one of my other brothers up on his idea of getting a license to bring home a Kodiak.

Then maybe we'll go find Neverland and track down that awful Captain Hook.

2 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

That's one beautiful gun, but I'd want the rubber grips.

Fits said...

Yep. Wood can't be beat for pretty, something like the Hogue Hand-All or whatever it is they're calling it this week can't be beat for recoil dampening. Even on my .357's the difference is night and day. It's almost disappointing to plink out .38's, and full blown, stark raving mad loads are fun as long as I remember to bring the proper hearing protection.