Friday, March 17, 2006

Kaboom


"A custimir brought in his asploded gun from a stuck squib he shot too threw."

And I hate doing this Jay, I really do, but since you don't ANSWER your email you've forced my hand.

Okay, so some schlep in essence shot off two rounds at the same time because the first round didn't fire and he jacked another round atop it, squeezed, and kerplow. ANY gun can Kaboom, polymer framed ones get a bad rap for being prone to, and the Glock in particular because of it's relatively unsupported chamber. It's why they will feed just about anything, and all one need do is use good ammunition and nothing bad will happen.

Jay is an old aquaintance who runs a gunshop/smithing service, and can fix pretty much anything but his spelling. On a good day it takes me 15-20 minutes to decipher a small, paragraph-length email of his, he always ends with a question, and never lets anyone know if he's received a suitable answer.

So, yes, Jay, I've seen Kabooms from all different guns and for all different reasons. So the next time you sell some of your premium, souped-up specialty handloads, and they blow something to pieces don't try conning me into thinking it was the customers fault.

Remember that old .380 you "fixed" for me?

2 comments:

Lemuel Calhoon said...

Back when I was a commercial reloader I had a customer, an indoor range in Raleigh, call us up and say that our ammo had blown up one of their customer's S&W m29 revolvers. When I inspected the gun (which was blown up real good) I looked down the barrel with a bore light. It was so full of grease that you couldn't see the lands and grooves. The moron had bought the gun used from a gunsmith who had it in long term storage and haddn't bothered to clean it before firing it.

Fits said...

Ouch. Cleaning a gun...what a concept. Just another thing that some folks haven't quite grasped. I've seen more than one fine firearm ruined because some dolt didn't think think he should swab out the cosmoline before shooting.