Sunday, March 12, 2006

No Gunsmith, I

I fuss with grips, drop in some springs, tighten this, loosen, then lose that. Normal stuff for an idiot tinkerer. I've the grip of an ape on steroids and have stripped more screws and frigged more drivers than memory can recall.

These relative cheapies work well. They stand up to a beating and just always seem to fit better than Craftsmen or whatever. Lowes has the sole rights for the sale and distribution of Kobalt tools, and their screwdrivers are decent gear. Now, sit back for a second and promise not to barf, okay...

Good. Kobalt is a division of Snap-On. There, I said it. From my perspective, the same tool at less than half the price. 100% made in the US, quality steel, magnetic tipped, no hassle guarantee.

Bust 'em then bring 'em back to Lowes and they say okay, here's another. Wouldn't say so if I hadn't already tried it. Now sure, you've got to await the person from Tool-World to come to the courtesy desk and handle the swap, but that's-that no matter where you go. Wander a few feet to the Seasonal area of the store and kick the tires on the new John Deere's they've begun selling this year, and in a few minutes the Tool-World dude has retrieved your brandy new screwdriver, or whatever it was you abused to all shit. The local Lowes in Gainesville is absolutely freaking paranoid about customer satisfaction and no, they cannot prevent the occasional wiseass from pissing you off but management will drop to a knee and inhale to make you happy.

Ask for Gunilla. I shit you not. Just don't tell Lisa I told you so.

No comments: