Sunday, March 05, 2006

Tupperware Takes...

This has become all the rage with Glockaholics. Stippling. It remains to be seen what longterm effects such work brings to the table, but this modification does make the weapon more controllable by enhanceing a more pronounced grip. To a certain degree, you can get similar results with slide-on enhancers, and the look is a love-it or hate-it proposition. I've seen some poorly done drastic-plastics that looked wretched after a hackjob stipling, but to my eye this one isn't half bad. Or maybe I'm just becoming accustomed to the look.

UPDATE: Received an email asking if the above modification voided the warranty, and my answer is I have not a clue. There are more and more shops being set up to do work such as this, and my concern has always been what happens when the stippling begins to break down as the plastic flattens out over time. I don't know if it would weaken the Nylon 6, and I doubt anyone else has the definitive word on the subject. I DO know that manufacturers hate it when customers frig around with their gear, and I'd contact Glock directly before having any such modification done to one of my own guns. I might just do that myself in the upcoming week, as we all know how reliable internet-dis-information can be. By all accounts the guys at Glock in Georgia are a good crew that'll gladly answer any questions so I'll dig up the number.

UPDATE: Sunday night, 11:00 PM:

Just received an email back from the gentleman that sent the pic of his stippled Glock. Did it himself. What I didn't ask is how many OTHER grips he had to practice on before managing to do such a decent job on this one. Still checking around for those that do it as a business. Seem to recall one fellow charging $150 or so for grinding down the finger indents and stippling.

2 comments:

Fits said...

There are a host of folks doing such work lately, Lem. I'll try to get more info on this particular one.

Fits said...

I prefer the 1st generation versions, myself. Was hoping that when Glock started making frames in Georgia they'd finally do away with all of the stupid import point system nonsense, but am unaware if they are up and running yet as far as making the entire gun in the states.

Besides, they've switched over to molding the damned finger grooves for a while now and who knows if they'd want to re-invest in what everyone seems to be asking for.