Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Patterns

Before purchasing a NIB Mossberg...on BAG Day but of course... I'd had a look at a used gun that was offered to me dirt cheap.

Problem was, the choke had been peened in from the use of steel shot and I prefer shooting slugs through an Improved Cylinder choke rather than a Modified one so I nixed the deal. It's still gathering dust and I might pick it up just because, but in preparation for some down and dirty hog shooting I wanted to have some time practicing with the shotgun I'll be using to fell these foul critters so time was of an essence.

Now, I'm no hunter, that's for sure. Went pheasant hunting once and it was okay, but didn't ring any particular bells of glee. And I'd heard that steel shot could be problematic with some barrels and some chokes, but hadn't come across such an event before this. Not that plain-jane barrels are all that expensive and there ARE some things that a Modified choke will do better than an IC, but a gun stranded firmly in Mod is a specialty piece and not something I wanted to go a'hogin' with. For my money, rifled slugs have always been more accurate from an IC choke setup, and I'm simply not all that fond of thinking about taking down a 400 lb feral hog with buckshot. Yes, I know that it can and IS done on a regular basis, but so is using a spear or a bowie knife and I'm not ready for THOSE methods either.

All in all, perhaps I'd better scoff up that other shotgun before Mrs. Clinton becomes President. And maybe another AR, and an M1A I've had an eye on, and any number of handguns that are calling my name. Listen....

Fitsssssssssssssssss....Fiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttssssssssssssssss.....Hillary will destroy us so please saaaaaaaaaaaaave usssssssssssssssssssss.

No comments: