Thursday, May 03, 2007

Esoterica

Still working on accuracy and follow-up shots in preparation for my first hog hunt. An on-again, off-again reader from Alaska has inquired as to my availability for a grizzly hunt, but I do believe thats only because he feels me to be slow enough afoot as to make a good distraction should things go sour. Not that I wouldn't someday like to try my hand at taking down a trophy bear, but I'm, um, getting my teeth cleaned that week.

Tried some Remington Sluggers in the 7/8 ounce varietal today, and they kicked more than the Brennecke Black Magics in 1 and 3/8 ounces. Nat tells me that his cousin Nat likes to use Federal triple-aught on hogs, but doesn't advise it unless one is within bad breath distance. 10, .36 caliber pellets at 68 grains apiece kicking ass @ 1250 fps is awesome firepower, but I do believe I'm sticking with the slug deal.

Meanwhile, my lawyer continues to go into full frontal apoplexy each time I post a picture of a firearm, and while this pleases me I've sort of grown accustomed to his slither and would hate to be forced to go back to turning over one rock after another in finding a new one. We all know that I do not own any firearms, nor intend to, and anything so portrayed here is for entertainment purposes only.

With that in mind, there's this pretty decent deal on an AR one of the Slaughter friends has offered...shit like this happens when you own half a dozen of one sort of firearm...but I've learned not to jump at the first good deal that comes along. For me, NOT buying guns remains something of an impulse, but there are enough safe queens already doing little more than accumulating detritus. I don't NEED another varmint-piece, and SHOULD instead be focusing on getting my C&R license.

No comments: