Sunday, March 12, 2006

Must Be A Bitch To Fire One-Handed...

I enjoy featuring the unusual. And an AK-Pistol is. Sort of.

So if you want a crappy, creaky, and flawed long-barreled pistol, this is the one for you. It'll feed anything that it is chambered for, and to clear mud from the barrel all one need do is shoot the damn thing, hence their reputation for reliability. That and they're cheap to manufacture. Hollywood and pulp fictions made the AK what is is, but it'd be one of the last rifles I'd take into combat if given the choice.

The pistol version is an oddity so of course I'd like to have one. Cool looking hands-gun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fits, that looks like a commando version of the AK called ( I think ) the AKSU.

Used by Speznaz and Naval Speznaz.

Fits said...

Believe it or not, it is a...Mars/B-West AK Pistol, made from the ground up AS a pistol so as to satisfy the BATFE. They do closely resemble the AKU's and some of the ones out there really ARE rifles converted to pistols but passed off as the pistol version to keep the government happy. If that makes any sense. It's late.

It has reached the point where the experts cannot tell the difference anymore, and since I am far from an expert on anything I just nod my head and say, wow, some pistol eh.

I still would rather have the Kel-Tec M-16 Pistol. I detest the 5.56 mm, but have seen better results on human targets than any AK. Give me an old M-14 and I'm quite happy. With the full-auto option, of course.

Anonymous said...

You should know which is the better rifle, Fits. You got the experience to be sure.

I haven't fired an M-16 since basic training but I think I would prefer the 5.56mm to just about any other kind of assault rifle, even the AK.

Fits said...

For my druthers I'd take the 5.56 as well. Not to say that the AK variants are pieces of crap, just that they are what they are. Unsophisticated weapons designed for and by unsophisticated armies. Doesn't mean I'd stand in front of one because that hurts. To save money, we could have copied the system decades ago but they'd never stand up to the scrutiny our arms must endure. The word is that the 9mm is definitely out as far as a sidearm cartridge goes, and the 5.56 is on it's last legs as well. Looks like we'll see something between .223 and .30 caliber; more power than the M-16 but less kick than the M-14 types.