Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Homeowner shoots burglar during home invasion

LINCOLNTON, N.C. -- "A burglar in Lincoln County got a surprise Monday when a homeowner fired a shot at him during a break-in.

Troy Howard said he woke up to the sound of breaking glass at about 2:50 a.m. Monday.

"My wife heard it when he knocked that glass. I was sleep. She woke me up," Howard said.

The burglar busted a window to get in. He also broke a picture near the bedroom door.

Howard's wife of nearly 50 years was able to get up and quickly lock the door. She then hid in the closet.

Howard said he saw a beam of light shining under the bedroom door. He grabbed his double-barreled shotgun and waited for the intruder.

"He got it open and I mean he's coming," said Howard, who is a former Marine. "I was sitting there and I jammed and fired at the same time. I figure if I shoot right along there I about had to hit him."

Investigators said they do not know how many burglars were inside the home, but at least one person was hit.

Deputies found a trail of blood out of Howard's home, down the driveway and on Catawba Burris Road.

Investigators have not yet located the burglar."

You can click the headline link to watch Troy being interviewed, but when he said he "jammed and fired at the same time", he was referring to jamming the barrel of the shotgun alongside the door.

As usual, the reporters do such a poor job of telling the story that little of it makes sense. Troy usually loads his shotguns with 00 Buck but may not have had any on hand, and in fact ran out of ammo after firing one shell. Don't know about you, but I've never heard of anyone with only one shotgun shell in the house.

Still and all, old Troy send them packing, but please now. How embarrassing is it that a Marine must be told how to be assured of dispatching said intruders for good.

No comments: