Sunday, January 28, 2007

DitchThe Belts But Keep The Gat

"Is it in your opinion paranoid to feel like somethings is missing when your not carrying a gun with you?"

This would be an interesting discussion were a medical professional to be part of it, but here's my take, sans the headshrinker.

Most of the men I know who carry, drive without using seat belts. Some of them, don't awaken in the middle of the night to pad into the bathroom without first arming themselves, and this is far from an exaggeration.

So then, it certainly isn't the fear of accidental death or injury that creates the naked-and-alone tremors experienced by those who find the need to be armed around the clock. Granted, being surrounded by tons of metal can and obviously does lend an air of invincibility, particularly to those who have not yet reached their majority, but walking down a darkened alley minus the heat can be daunting.

The longwinded response, is yes. I do believe some become clinically paranoid when disarmed. Upon returning from my first tour in SE Asia I was shaken to the point of extreme discomfiture (scared shitless) just by walking out the front door without a gun. Since I know what it feels like firsthand, I can see it in others and it ain't pretty.

Caution is a virtue. But like anything under heaven can be taken to the extreme.

No comments: