Friday, October 28, 2005

Zulu Beams Himself Out Of The Closet...


St. Petersburg Times: Entertainment news and features

George Takei discloses his homosexuality

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- George Takei, best known for his role as Mr. Sulu in "Star Trek," came out as homosexual in the current issue of a magazine covering the Los Angeles gay and lesbian community.

Takei told The Associated Press on Thursday that his new onstage role as psychologist Martin Dysart in "Equus," helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality.

Takei described the character as a "very contained but turbulently frustrated man." The play opened Wednesday at the David Henry Hwang Theater in Los Angeles, the same day that Frontiers magazine featured a story on Takei's coming out.

Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

"It's against basic decency and what American values stand for," he said.

Darn tootin' it is, and I'm glad that a homosexual can admit that...

Wait a minute, let me read that again. mumble mumble, prejudice, mumble, decency, mumble...hey.

Wow. He meant, that to dislike homosexuals is indecent. You do know that in a decade or two to dislike anything that someone else likes brands you as an "ist" of some sort, don't you? They tried the "what are you afraid of?" routine and that worked for a little while, then even avowed rednecks came to the conclusion that fear and loathing are quite different. I fondly recall the first time I had dolphin for dinner. Was in Indonesia and I was asked if i'd like some fresh fish, and my reply was something along the lines of, "you'd ask a guy born on an island if he wants fresh fish? Sure I do!"

Anyways, it was...different. To my palate it DID taste somewhat fishy, but grizzly bears say that we taste of McDonalds fries so you are what you eat and all that. Very "heavy" tasting fish, too earthy, too meaty, none of that flakiness, more like lobster but no where near the taste. When I at last asked what type of fish I was chowing down on, and received the answer, I had that kneejerk response in spite of myself. You know, the same as when a liberal is asked something about guns. I caught myself before going into full frontal agog, but the look on my face gave me away.

"You no like darfin? What wrong with darfin? Many asian peoples eat darfin, you no like asian peoples too? You starve island asian children to death because YOU no like darfin?"

No comments: